In easy terms, Patent Docketing System is defined as a process that effectively and efficiently supervises the patent application procedure. It is believed to be a trustworthy process upon which several law firms depend.
Various complexities are involved in applying for a grant of a Patent. Hence, the applicants are required to manage their application adequately. With the filing of the application comes an enormous amount of documents that must be submitted. This kind of work requires specialists who would make filing seamless and hassle-free.
Also, because law firms possess foreign clients that make the work cumbersome, Docketing plays a vital role here. In such cases, clients might face huge losses and financial debts and may also start losing clients and work. Hence, it is recommended to use an excellent and dependable patent docketing system.
The Procedure of Patent Docketing System
The patent docketing specialist at the firm is always available for the client and remains in direct contact with him/her. Documents that the firm requires are made available to systemize the client’s portfolio digitally. The collection of the client is appropriately regulated through several modernized tools and techniques. This helps the clients see their patent application status at any time. Managing the client’s portfolio electronically entails benefits compared to manually entering the client’s records or data, which may lead to errors or mistakes. Hence, in the current scenario, law firms must possess updated versions of the technology to make their docketing user-friendly and easy to comprehend.
Also, the Patent Docketing System will prompt the clients to remember their dates, deadlines, and submission of documents on time (if any).
The need for the system
A unified system of Docketing is required for a specific law firm as they have to cater to the needs of several clients across the globe. In a single application of a Patent, various essential documents are involved; hence, patent law firms must ensure that they have a protected and dependable record system to store the client’s data. A successful docketing system provides a robust database and user-friendly software that can generate optimal results.
The essentials of a sound Patent Docketing System are as follows:
- It reduces the manual and clerical work of the law firms to say companies need not manually enter the client’s information about the patent application.
- As the software is quite handy and user-friendly, the client can see the status of their patent application at any given time and the docketer.
- The patent docketing software creates a report and informs the client about the present status of the patent application.
- It has adequate space to safely keep the clients’ documents.
- An added advantage of the patent docketing system is that it is available in different languages.
- Also, the software automatically creates an invoice after the Patent has been granted to the applicant.
- The Patent Docketing System reminds the clients and the docketer of the several due dates and deadlines, which must be followed during the processing of the patent application.
Rules to follow � Maintaining Patent Docketing System (The Essentials)
The system of Patent Docketing encompasses storing every document related to a Patent’s filing in the docketer’s records, i.e., the database. This further aids the patent firms in recovering the data at any time.
The essentials or ingredients that apply in the case of the patent docketing system must be followed. These are:
- Generating and keeping a different portfolio for every client is of extreme importance.
- The database-so maintained must be accurate and particular. It should include the following:
- The name of the client
- The contact details of the applicant
- Kind of invention
- Nature of the industry
- Electronic records of the application, illustrations forms, etc.
- Application status
- Due dates and deadlines
- The patent docketing software must certify that every legal fee and payment status is updated in its database.
- The software must also provide for unification to keep a harmonious advancement of the work and permit up-gradation of the patent applications whenever relevant.
- The adaptability of the patent docketing software is by itself significant. The system should be such it permits the accounting of the notes in every portfolio of the clients, which is required to show the stage at which the application is in progress.
Role of Docketers in Patent Docketing System
When a law firm receives a patent application, it also leads to a massive amount of documents being involved. During this stage, the role of IP Docketers comes into play, and their responsibilities are as follows:
- Ensure that all the received documents are tagged individually with a file number.
- Safekeeping of the documents in the correct part of the digital or manual folder in the patent file.
- The docketer must enter every document into the records in the software so that the attorneys and the applicant can have easy access to the same as and when necessary.
- Docketers also ensure that the due dates and deadlines shown in the system are accurate so there are no chances of being misled. These dates are shown through reminders to the attorneys, and the applicant does not miss them.
- Docketers must also preserve the scanned copies of the documents in their records and establish templates.
Patent Docketing Software
Several custom-made IP docketing systems exist to operate the system of Docketing. They generally include features such as:
- Calculating due dates or deadlines
- Maintaining the database of the applications of the clients
- Keeping track of the actions from the Patent and Trademark Office
- Safeguarding the documents related to the IP applications.